$225
N/A
N/A
N/A
PLAYED BY N/A
POSTS MADE
N/A
jockey

While her current 'owner' had his own rather luxurious stable, with its own set of racetracks, Ira wasn't limited to only his horses, which meant that she frequently went to Keeneland as well, straight after her string of exercise rides at Castle Lake, to do another set of 'em right here. Nobody ever said that being a jockey was an easy life, which she really would stress. Still, itw as definitely worth it. The adrenalin of the chase, the thrill of triumph. Ira was a junkie, no doubt about it - and her drug of choice was horse racing. Luckily, she was a licensed, fairly experienced and fairly (damn) successful jockey, so she didn't have to do too many strange things to get her fix.

Snickering a little at the bizarre turn her thoughts had taken, she focused back on the path she was walking. She'd just ridden four horses after each other, and two of them actually felt like they might win a race or two in the near future, and right now she was ready to go home, have some food, and then get back to Castle Lake to exercise her own horses. It wasn't like they needed to be fit for a race, but sometimes it was nice not to have to worry about the way you made a living, but just enjoy frolicking around, even if it was with a twisted old racehorse or a pony. And there was no doubt about it; her dunalino was a pony in heart and soul, and to be totally frank, also in his appearance. Still, she was proud of the pony, whether he was working as a lead pony or just offering her consolation after a hard day's work.

Ira hadn't gotten far yet when she heard someone yell for 'Scout' behind her. Used to her nickname, she turned around on a midnight-blue booted heel, surprised to see one of the track staff scurrying towards her. It was a pleasant surprise when the man, an old time friend who had a habit of earning money of her victories, tipped her off about an owner looking for a jockey... And that said owner -she'd seen the woman's horses race a few times- was currently talking with some jockeys she happened to see walk by. Ira silently thought that the woman had seen 'em ride and was now 'interviewing', but it was worth skulking around for. So after a moment's hesitation she continued on to the car, but instead of driving home, she releashed her white pitbull, muzzled him for good measure - they were allowed, and she trusted him completely, utterly and with her life, but people tended to relax when the simple muzzle was in place - and walked back. She could do breakfast at the track too, after all.

everything that don't make sense about me makes sense when i'm done
tag: Jane // words: 468 // outfit // hope this works? her as of yet nameless doggy
( © HUNTER. )
PM
^
jane kit bailey
 Posted: Jun 22 2014, 03:56 PM
29 years old
Owner
$1075
N/A
Kit
Jane’s father was a successful horse trainer for a time, but was eventually found guilty of fixing races and began his long exile in Kansas State, where Jane was born only a short time later. However, Jane is determined to remain clean and has made a go at escaping her father’s shadow. She is now an owner of her own private farm and has become a respectable but proud person in the industry.
PLAYED BY Soldier
POSTS MADE
N/A
owner

Modern Narrative

Jane was famous for dropping her employees without a second glance or a moment’s hesitation. So, when the last person decided to work with her horses the wrong way, she showed them the exit. Her opinions mattered; these were her horses. When she saw brilliance, she let the person do their job, but when Jane saw extreme and unnecessary measures being taken, they were out the door immediately. There was no warning, no second chance. People may have viewed Jane as just a business woman, and in many ways she was just that, but her business was horses, and they were important responsibilities with feelings and needs.

As she wandered Keeneland race track in her usual slacks and blue blouse, Jane felt not at all out of place among the dirt and sweaty race horses. This is where she spent her time, if she wasn’t spending it at her small farm in the countryside. She owned enough horses to fill a barn here, but the most important was in need of a good jockey: Captain Symbolism. Her grey three-year-old colt with his sweeping stride was recently deprived of his newest rider. So were My Suggestion and Sable Gown; secretly, her two-year-old prospects of the season. Of course, in public, Jane did not shower her horses with favoritism. It wasn’t fair to the rest, and could blind any good owner from what was to come.

Jane kept her eye on Romaine Macaslan, and even for her paitently when the young woman disappeared for a short while, only to return with an animal companion by her side. It was a white pitbull, which Jane found interesting. But she was more interested in his owner. After excusing herself from the two jockeys she was currently speaking with, Jane turned from them and walked right up to the woman jockey; she was not afraid of introducing herself or jumping at the chance right away. But Jane knew that this strategy did not work for everyone. Romaine already rode for another owner who ran a champion stable. This did little intimidate Jane, but it made her worry if Andrew King had a great hold on Romaine.

A hold strong enough to keep me from hiring the jockey? Jane shrugged the thought away, one eye trained on the dog and the other on Macaslan. She extended out her hand as a kind of offering. “I’m Jane Bailey. Some know me best as Ms. Kit. I’m owner of a little farm called Raven Springs.” It was typical, bland, and held no history or meaning: Jane’s preference. “There are no springs, but there aren’t any ravens either.” She didn’t smile, but her words were not hostile. In fact, Jane was behaving herself. She knew she needed to use a more friendly approach. “I though we could have a talk. I’m looking for someone to step in and ride some horses that need a good firm handling.” She would not assume aloud if Romaine was interested. Jane would let Macaslan decide that for herself.

PM
^
romaine ira macaslan
 Posted: Jun 23 2014, 02:38 AM
N/A years old
N/A
$225
N/A
N/A
N/A
PLAYED BY N/A
POSTS MADE
N/A
jockey

Ira hesitated a fraction of a second when the woman extended her hand - she recognized her, if only by face and not per se by name. Then she shook it, smiling genially but a little blandly. "Pleasure to meet you, miss ...?" she let her voice trail away - between Jane, miss Bailey or miss Kit there were a few too many options to just guess how she should call the woman, although she assumed 'Jane' was a little too familiar right off the bat. She didn't offer her own name in return; partially because the woman was already talking again, partially because she (rightfully) assumed that miss Bailey already knew who she was. Owners didn't often 'corner' random strange jockeys, they went looking for particular ones.

"Well, be glad it isn't called 'Grass Field' then," she flippantly shot back, internally cringing a little bit at her instinctive volley back. She sometimes had the tendency to parry back in a way that could best be described as sarcastic and smart-ass, and while most people appreciated her candor in that and her wit, or so they claimed, it wasn't the best tactic when you were just meeting someone. Then again, if the owner was looking for a jockey, which Ira assumed was the case, it was only fair she'd see Ira for who she really was. The jockey wasn't good in faking it, whatever it was at the time, and wearing masks was just tiresome. This was who you got, take it or leave it. Well, mostly. She was capable of making sacrifices and compromises, of course, otherwise she'd never get a job, but that didn't change a thing.

Ira tilted her head a fraction, considering. "I was about to eat something, if you'd like to join?" she invited the woman along. It was ten thirty-ish, and it was time for her post-exercise rides snack. Just some low-fat yoghurt, but it was the idea that counted, and it'd allow them to sit down for a moment and just talk. Especially because she liked the offer the woman amde, although there were some kinks that had to be worked out beforehand - like her priorities. Assuming that Jane Bailey wouldn't mind this alternative, she led the way to a somewhat secluded corner next to the track where she liked to sit and watch if she had the time. The view wasn't bad, after all. "Scout, down," she told her dog in a no-nonsense way, which the pitbull responded to immediately. It was somewhat ironic - she'd been dubbed 'Scout' for her sometimes rather forward position in races, but it'd been the name of her dog for a while as well. It always amused the barn staff if they called after her with the silly nickname and both woman and canine reacted.

There was a brief silence before Ira broke it, after she rummaged through her small bag to dig up the yoghurt she'd brought and a spoon. "Before we actually talk, there is one thing I'd like to make clear. At the moment, I ride for Andrew King, and I intend to keep doing that. His rides will be my main priority. Any races that don't have a horse of his I'm supposed the ride, I can be yours." She felt it was a rather clear statement, she just hoped she hadn't blown her chance for extra rides sky high with it.

tag: Jane // words: 566 // outfit // n/a
( © HUNTER. )
PM
^
jane kit bailey
 Posted: Jun 24 2014, 03:48 PM
29 years old
Owner
$1075
N/A
Kit
Jane’s father was a successful horse trainer for a time, but was eventually found guilty of fixing races and began his long exile in Kansas State, where Jane was born only a short time later. However, Jane is determined to remain clean and has made a go at escaping her father’s shadow. She is now an owner of her own private farm and has become a respectable but proud person in the industry.
PLAYED BY Soldier
POSTS MADE
N/A
owner

Modern Narrative

"Miss Kit." Jane confirmed. She could be warm and friendly, when she made a point to be. Her hand shakes were never really akward or too strong, Jane was always relaxed. She laughed at Romaine's comment about the name. "It is better than that, I suppose. But the name was given by the previous owner. The words were painted everywhere, so I hardly cared to change it. Besides, those who happen to be familiar with the countryside know it by that name, most of all. So I see no reason in causing too much confusion over such a small matter." Names hardly mattered anyway. Names of farms, that is. People remembered the names of horses and riders.

Jane was was quick to decided in how she should respond to Romaine's invitation. "I would love to." She had had a brief bite to eat after waking earlier that morning, but the feeling of a little emptiness remained inside her stomach. She had an energy bar in her purse. However, Jane was far more concerned with thoughts of Romaine than she was of hunger. The jockey was at least handling the situation very well. Jane could hardly begin to guess on weather other trainers or owners had approached Romaine in a similar fashion. It did not happen so commonly, Jane supposed. But when she knew she had found the right person for the job, she went for them.

Following Romaine's lead, Jane filled the time it took to get to a secluded little corner with a small amount of conversation. "I apologize if I seem a little too straightforward. I am progressing a search for the right person, and because two of my younger horses are without a rider, and have some small difficulties in behavior, I find that I have less time that I would like to find the appropriate replacement." Jane was never in a hurry for anything, of course. Yet time sometimes pressed for more drastic measures. this was not entirely dramatic or too pushy of her, but Jane felt that she was advancing a little faster than she preferred.

Sitting down on the bench beside Romaine, Jane looked out at the track and smiled a little. She always enjoyed watching the horses. It was a favorite pastime of hers. After a short command from his master, the pitbull obeyed and Jane looked at him for a brief moment. She was more of a cat person, but dogs were very nice animals to have around. Romaine suddenly began to speak, as she gathered her lunch from her bag, and Jane turned her thoughts back to the jockey as she listened to her speak.

Jane nodded, her face not so soft anymore. She was all business now. "I know. Andrew King is a great opportunity for any rider. That's why I am only approaching you about three of my horses. One is a three-year old named Captain Symbolism, the other a two year-old filly named My Suggestion, and the third, a four-year old named Sable Gown. He's my champion, in a way." Jane shrugged her purse off her shoulder and reached inside to retrieve her energy bar. "And they all have one thing in common: they'er problem horses."

PM
^
romaine ira macaslan
 Posted: Jun 25 2014, 02:28 PM
N/A years old
N/A
$225
N/A
N/A
N/A
PLAYED BY N/A
POSTS MADE
N/A
jockey

"Miss Kit," she copied, mostly to clarify it to herself. "Please call me Ira," she returned - 'miss Macaslan' didn't quite sound like her, rough around the edges as she could be. And Romaine was a name she'd said goodbye to a long time ago already. Well, she still signed with it, sometimes, but she simply preferred the simpler, more powerful and less refined middle name she'd been given. "It's a good name, though," she admitted, mostly truthfully. Sure, it was a little ominous, but then, weren't ravens per definition intriguing and ominous?

She was glad the woman followed her and sat down next to her - it was a little unorthodox, but the owner had approached her. That suggested a certain level of demand that played well for her - if she was in demand, she could share her own particular demands. Then again, she wasn't sure how determined miss Kit was, but they'd see soon enough.

"I don't mind straightforward," which was true, as also seen in her own earlier response, setting the boundaries right away. Or rather, her priorities. "I currently ride a 2 year old colt, a 4 year old filly and a 4 year old colt, for King," she explained, once it was clear that Jane had finished her part. She hesitated for a moment more, before nodding. "Captain Symbolism and My Suggestion shouldn't be a problem, provided the exercise rides work, Sable Gown would depend on whether or not I have a ride from King," she acknowledged. But two steady horses, if not her champion, were a nice catch to ride. It'd help her get better contacts on the track, for one, a better name. At least, if her horses were any good. She didn't seem like the type to accept mediocrity, though. Granted, the part about problem horses didn't endear her immediately, but she was willing to give it a shot. Probably. It seemed there was a bit of research to be done in her future. "How so? she inquired, genuinely curious.

tag: Jane // words: 336 // outfit // sorry for the shortness - I've been staring at/working on this reply for nearly the whole freakin' day, and this is the best I've had all day
( © HUNTER. )
PM
^
jane kit bailey
 Posted: Jul 4 2014, 02:43 PM
29 years old
Owner
$1075
N/A
Kit
PLAYED BY Soldier
POSTS MADE
N/A
owner

Modern Narrative

Jame smiled a little as she listened to Romaine speak of King again. It was ironic, to think she had horses running against such Kentucky royalty. She had a fairly successful stable, and it was making good progress. Yet she needed to cover a little more distance before she expected any one of her horses to race King's in a way that it was almost expected that Jane would be competing against him for the big money. There was no absolute grantee that Romaine would be riding on any of the two two-year-old's that King owned, and that were also running in the same race as Captain Symbolism. "Well, we just have to wait and see." Jane replied carefully. "Andrew King runs a pretty expansive business, but I think we are in the clear for now. Although, Captain Symbolism is running against two of Andrew King's horses that are in the same age group, but that's all. So, you shouldn't have to worry about picking sides or appearing professionally fair to your boss."

"Well," Jane sighed softly, considering how she should answer Romaine's question in an orderly fashion. "Let's say you can identify each of the three by their distinct issues. Sable Gown is nervous, dislikes being on his lonesome,and a little lazy. But that last part is not so much of a problem. Captain Symbolism is ornery: he likes to challenge everyone who's new to him. He also cannot be pushed, or he'll just make everything worse." Jame's smile grew a little, but it was bitter. "Then there's my little girl." She paused, her expression suddenly one of displeasure. "Honestly, I don't like her very much, as far as her attitude goes. She knows better, but every problem with her resolves around her teeth and feet. She's got a hard mouth, Holiday does." Jane looked at romaine a little pointedly, as if to say, 'that's her barn name'. She went on from there. "It takes a great pull to keep her in check, and an even greater strength to stop her." Jane shook her head. "I don't know what her first trainer did to screw her up so bad..."

Jane frowned. "I know it all sounds like kid stuff, and jockeys generally don't play too much of a hand in the behavior of young horses as much as exercise riders do when training starts, but I think you would be a good influence. All these problems affect their performances, and that means a lot of different endings can happen in a race. They could loose, or worse, someone could get hurt." Jane stopped for a moment, and took a bite of her energy bar. She was no horse trainer, not like her father. But Jane knew some things required a great deal of care and close consideration. The problems were obvious, and their origins almost just as obvious. She looked at Romaine again and said, "I want someone who can be patient, do their job, and respect my property, because these horses are my property, and I need them to be taken care of." It all sounded rather stiff, but her words meant more than business.

(OOC - I had to be off for four days, and then all this early celebration for the fourth ruined my return. I didn't notice your little hover code until now. I feel bad because this reply of mine is shorter than it usually is, but I think I summed it all up well enough. I'm sorry the last response put up such a fight, I hate it when that happens to me, so I understand. There was nothing wrong with your reply: you did great with it.

PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply

• c
  • b
  • o
  • x
SKINNED BY MERC OF CAUTION 2.0 & ATF & ROUX!