late night, open
kenzie leigh marrazzo
 Posted: Jun 4 2014, 02:28 PM
26 years old
author/barista
$475
mountain
kenzie
kenzie is a young aspiring author. she is originally from edmonton, alberta but has lived in kentucky for quite some time now, starting when she moved for university. she has a rough past living on the streets, but that is her past, and something she refuses to let control her life.
PLAYED BY nevaeh
POSTS MADE
i howled at the moon with friends. and then the sun came crashing in. but all the possibilities. no limits just epiphanies. i'm never gonna look back. whoa, I'm never gonna give it up. no, just don't wake me now.
boarder

"euhh" she sighed wiping up the vacated tables. kenzie got stuck working the closing shift and it just happened to be thursday which is the only day of the week they stayed open until eleven. it wasn't like she would have gotten to bed much earlier if she had the night off, but at least she wouldn't be all alone mopping floors and making lattes for stuck up business men.

the other girl had to leave earlier since she was convinced she had caught some sort of flu bug, although the brunette had a suspicion it was all a lie, and had almost called her out on it. kenzie often had a thing for keeping her tongue. it just didn't come naturally to her, so she was often left apologizing for some cruel comment she made, or fast comeback.

looking around the empty shop, she took a quick peek at the clock. desperation overcame her as she rolled up her sleeves to her elbows, and began to mop the dry mud from the floor. the rain and occasional clashes of thunder booming around outside the shop. it was a nasty thunderstorm just as the weatherman on channel 9 had predicted. kenzie honestly didn't mind the rain. she liked the fresh dew smell it left on every surface, and the way each drop delicately danced from the sky. most women worried about ruining their hair or their make up, but since she normally just had her hair down and naturally curly, with very minimal make up consisting of a thin layer of mascara and some concealer - it didn't bother her much.

turning the soft, melodic harmonies up, she began her hard labour. the mop swished and matched the pounding of the rain on the roof, and she lost herself in that rhythm not even realizing when a customer walked in.

PM
^
randall leigh hurley
 Posted: Jun 8 2014, 10:00 PM
31 years old
Leathersmith
$25
EST
Randy
From an Irish Canadian family, born and raised in Saratoga, New York Randy is an Afghan War veteran that now trains and runs Standardbred harness racers on his free weekends. He partly owns and operates the Hurley Livery Stables with his father and boards for various clients. Randy's major hobby is leathersmithing and after graduating from the University of Kentucky he spends the majority of his time tooling saddles and other leather products. Quiet and somewhat reserved he warms up to strangers quickly so just say hi!
PLAYED BY Zeppelin
POSTS MADE
"Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we are all equal in the end."
boarder

June 4, 2014
Evening

It was dark when he set out for his run, a little late in the evening to be doing so but he had missed his morning jog when his client scheduled to meet him at seven this morning, before he had to leave for work. It was nice, though it would have been much cooler if he had been able to squeeze his jog in this morning. Any disruption to his schedule unnerved him, he was so used to the strict way of life in the military and now that he was home he couldn’t stand to have any sort of disorder in his life be it his sock drawer or his daily routine. He wore his usual t-shirt with the marine’s logo on the left side of the chest and a pair of sweat pants, his tennis shoes probably needed replacing and soon or he would have another of those instances where he looked down and saw the sole loosely flapping at the bottom of his foot, warranting a walk home barefoot.

He put in his earbuds and cranked up his jogging playlist and set out from home, planning his usual route into town where he would circle the park and jog back. It was three miles and usually took him about a half an hour. He was passing by the shops lining the streets when the storm rolled up but Pink Floyd was playing so loudly in his ears he took no notice of the impending tempest as the rolling thunder gathered in the distance, his reflection flashed at him from the windows he passed as he skirted a person here and there heading home from a late dinner or a night out. When he finally saw a flash of lightning he thought nothing of it, jogging under the awnings he didn’t much care whether it rained or not, at most his feet may get a little wet but there was still the park to get through.

Deserted as usual the fountain hissed softly as the scuffle of feet entered the area and circled the brick pathway then died off in the distance as Randy left it behind, now facing the direction of the storm clouds, he watched the lightning light up the great pillars of looming cumulus. He noticeably picked up the pace and a fitting “Run Like Hell” played in his ears as he made a dash for the streets again but the bottom dropped out and caught him in the downpour. So much for his scheduled run. He was soaked when he walked into the first establishment on the street with the lights still on, his shoes squeaking on the linoleum at the entrance before he transitioned to the rug and wiped his feet, eyeing the place curiously he pulled his earbuds from his ears, the soft buzz lingering as he tried to take note of where he was. Hopefully they weren’t closing, he didn’t really want to go back out until the rain let up. He ran his fingers through his wet hair rather haphazardly, leaving it to stick out in every direction and stepped up to the bar to sit down and look dejectedly at his reflection in the counter top like a wet puppy. Most folks around here knew who he was and he had the good fortune of that, so hopefully they wouldn’t kick him out, or even better give him a ride home.

Tagged: Kenzie! ~ Word Count: 573
credit to tillie at caution
PM
^
kenzie leigh marrazzo
 Posted: Jun 10 2014, 03:34 PM
26 years old
author/barista
$475
mountain
kenzie
kenzie is a young aspiring author. she is originally from edmonton, alberta but has lived in kentucky for quite some time now, starting when she moved for university. she has a rough past living on the streets, but that is her past, and something she refuses to let control her life.
PLAYED BY nevaeh
POSTS MADE
i howled at the moon with friends. and then the sun came crashing in. but all the possibilities. no limits just epiphanies. i'm never gonna look back. whoa, I'm never gonna give it up. no, just don't wake me now.
boarder

kenzie heard the bell ring from above the door as a young man entered looking soaking wet. his clothes were drenched from the downpour of rain that bombarded lexington that cold night. she felt a sense of pity for him and she automatically leaned the mop against a table and headed behind the counter. within a few minutes with only silence hanging in the hair, she handed him a scalding hot chocolate.

"it's really coming down, isn't it?" she said offering a smile, before picking up her mop once again and continuing with her duty. the neon starbucks sign made a low glow inside the store as it shone through the darkness of the night. the only sounds that could be heard was the whirring from the machines as they shut off for the night and the gentle pitter-padder from the rain as it the roof.

finally satisfied she put the mop back in the store room and turned her full attention to the man. "can i get you anything else?" she offered politely. looking at the otherwise empty shop, she perched herself on the counter so she could talk to him. "by the way, i'm kenzie," she said introducing her peppy self.

PM
^
randall leigh hurley
 Posted: Jun 11 2014, 02:55 PM
31 years old
Leathersmith
$25
EST
Randy
From an Irish Canadian family, born and raised in Saratoga, New York Randy is an Afghan War veteran that now trains and runs Standardbred harness racers on his free weekends. He partly owns and operates the Hurley Livery Stables with his father and boards for various clients. Randy's major hobby is leathersmithing and after graduating from the University of Kentucky he spends the majority of his time tooling saddles and other leather products. Quiet and somewhat reserved he warms up to strangers quickly so just say hi!
PLAYED BY Zeppelin
POSTS MADE
boarder

June 4, 2014
Evening

Wiping his hand across the counter when he saw he was leaving droplets of water all over he found it did no good when his hand was also wet. He sighed, managing to sound pretty bummed and started winding the cord of his earbuds around his iPod. Luckily it hadn’t gotten wet but the little device had survived worse, the dryer, his dog, being dropped nine-thousand times. The corners were worn and rounded by abuse but it still worked fine. He turned it off when a cup of hot chocolate came from nowhere,
“Oh, I uh-” he began and looked up at her and suddenly smiled. Some faces were just easier to smile at than others but he hadn’t been expecting it, “I appreciate it, but I don’t have any money . . .” he laughed somewhat embarrassed. He didn’t bother to explain why but his pants didn’t have any pockets though it would have been nice, at least he would have had a phone to call his brother to come and get him.

When he looked around the place he realized he was in a Starbucks, the establishment world famous for its coffee and royally screwing up its customer’s names when they wrote them on their cups,
“Yeah, it is . . . a lot . . . raining.” he answered sort of brainlessly since she wasn’t really asking him a question but rather making a statement. He looked up at the tv over the counter, the sound was off and the captions were on so as not to interfere with the ambient music on the stereos. A rumble of thunder rattled the buildings on the street and the unmistakable hiss of a car passing by drifted into the establishment. He plucked a few napkins from the dispenser on the counter and wiped his face. It wasn’t the water on his face that was really bothering him but his pants were rather uncomfortable.

She returned after she was done mopping and asked if he needed anything else,
“If it’s uh, not too much trouble, do you have a phone I could use?” he asked as politely as he could, already looking as pathetic as he did he imagined there wasn’t much someone would do for him at the moment. He should have checked the weather report he supposed. He looked at the tv again and wondered if the hockey game was on, “Randy.” he replied and habitually offered to shake her hand over the counter, “Sorry about the mess, normally when I walk into a coffee house I’m dry.” he laughed, “Shoulda checked the weather report before I left but uh, not to be rude but that guy’s rarely accurate, what’s his name . . . it’s a weird name . . . Micah . . . Micah Harris.”

Tagged: Kenzie! ~ Word Count: 470

PM
^
kenzie leigh marrazzo
 Posted: Jun 19 2014, 12:14 PM
26 years old
author/barista
$475
mountain
kenzie
PLAYED BY nevaeh
POSTS MADE
boarder

"it's no problem," she said smiling gently. "it's on the house," she told him with her classic kenzie grin on her face. she could be your best friend or your worst nightmare. it really depended on first impressions and so far this guys wasn't doing to bad of a job. it was also in her work description she had to be polite, and cheerful but that doesn't mean she always followed the rules. especially the no taking free coffee rule.

as she sat on the counter, and sipped a latte she had made herself before starting to close up, she handed him her iphone out of her apron pocket. "sure," she said waiting while he made a call. the sweet taste of the carmel syrup hung on the roof of her mouth, and he whole body was filled with a warm sensation as she sipped the almost empty paper cup. that was partly why she got a job here. you could say she had a slight addiction to coffee. it didn't really matter what kind it was, but carmel latte's were her favourite.

she watched with her hazel-brown eyes as handed back the phone and offered to shake her hand. he had a firm grip, but not a death grip. there was a difference, and it seemed nowadays very few people knew the difference. you had the women who wouldn't even touch you and then on the other side of the spectrum, the businessmen who cut the circulation off from your fingers. "it's nice to meet you randy," she told him.

"and i don't blame you because that reporter tends to be a little sketchy," she agreed with him. kenzie didn't normally watch tv and when she did it was rarely the news, but she had heard about his predictions and she heard rumours about him having a haters fan club. she found it a little exaggerated, but she hated osme people enough she wished she could form a haters fan club.

"what exactly were you doing out this late anyways?" she asked trying to intrigue, but curiosity took over and she couldn't keep her tongue. it was an issue she had struggled with since childhood, but if you asked anyone who had known her for a while, they would all say she had gotten better at not saying the first thing that comes to her mind.

so sorry for the wait!
PM
^
randall leigh hurley
 Posted: Jun 22 2014, 07:18 PM
31 years old
Leathersmith
$25
EST
Randy
PLAYED BY Zeppelin
POSTS MADE
boarder

June 4, 2014
Evening

He contemplated her words carefully, even giving her a doubtful expression,
“You’re sure? You won’t get in any trouble?” he asked concernedly. Accepting gifts was one thing, accepting something he normally paid for was something else and he wasn’t sure he could take it. She told him it was on the house, maybe she was the manager or something but she didn’t look the part up here cleaning up before closing. Maybe he was overanalyzing things, again. Then again some places were more lenient than others but he had run across such places before and once corporate caught wind of it he would come into the store and all of a sudden all the employees had been replaced.

He finally relented and took a sip as another menacing rumble of thunder rattled the windows of the shops on the street. This was the old part of downtown with all the little mom and pop shops he was so fond of. They may have been a little overpriced but they sold things one wouldn’t normally find in a Wal-Mart or some other huge store. She sat on the counter and handed him her phone, which kind of surprised him, expecting she would lend him the café’s phone,
“Thank you!” he exclaimed and accepted the phone, it was bigger than what he was used to and took him just a second to figure out how to make a call and then looked over into a corner, thinking of his brother’s number. Speed dial was a useful tool, until you didn’t have it and realized you didn’t know anyone’s number, “Darrell . . . yeah I’m borrowing someone’s phone . . . yeah she is, anyways I’m at the Star Bucks . . . yeah the one on Broadway . . . okay, thanks.” he ended the call and handed the phone back to its owner and thanked her again. The hot chocolate sat before him. Darrell was a little indisposed and it would take him a few moments to get out of the house so he supposed he may as well indulge in the hot chocolate. It was good and he was cold so it helped.

“Likewise, Kenzie.” he replied politely, “Yeah, he looks sketchy. Prob’ly has an eight-hundred dollar haircut, thousand-dollar teeth.” he scoffed. He heard one of the presidential candidates a few years back spent twelve-hundred dollars on his veneers, another had the outrageously expensive haircut. How could a haircut even come close to costing that much, had to be a rumor, or maybe it was some top notch celebrity hairdresser. Of course every face on tv had his fans and those who hated his face, his voice and his fancy shit. Maybe it was jealousy, Randy couldn’t be sure, all he knew was Micah’s weather reports were way off at times and kind of ruined his day on occasion, which had led him to harbor a certain animosity toward false reporter.

“I was uh . . . I was jogging.” he laughed, a little embarrassed, not about jogging but about getting caught up in a thunderstorm, “Normally I jog in the mornings, but I had a client, so it got rescheduled to this afternoon.” he just couldn’t stand missing his daily jog, not since being discharged from the corp, “How long have you worked here?” he asked, figuring he had some time to kill until his brother arrived.

Tagged: Kenzie! ~ Word Count: 569

PM
^
kenzie leigh marrazzo
 Posted: Jun 23 2014, 02:28 PM
26 years old
author/barista
$475
mountain
kenzie
PLAYED BY nevaeh
POSTS MADE
boarder

she tried not to listen to his conversation as he spoke on the phone, so she fiddled with her nails. when he handed her the phone back she put it back in the pocket of her apron and looked back up at him. he was fairly average. not too tall. not too short. fairly attractive...if kenzie was into that kind of thing. she wasn't going to yell it out to the world but she wasn't going to hide the fact that she was a lesbian. that's just the way it was with her and the way it always had been.

she smiled and chuckled at his comment about the weather mans hair. it probably was true. they actually made a lot of money. too bad i didn't get a job there, she told herself silently. kenzie had grown up poor, and she wasn't wealthy now by any means. she barely got by on her wage from her manager position at starbucks and although she was trying to finish her book and get it hopefully published soon the chances of that were pretty small given the amount of competition. sometimes she wished she had become something big paying, but other times it didn't really matter. this was the life she was used to, so to have anything else was foreign to her.

"ah," she said nodding her head. jogging. something she never really liked to do. athletics and sports weren't exactly her cup of tea. she had always been a little on the bigger side of the rest of the women. she was rather curvy and although she could be self-conscious on her bigger stature, at the end of the day she didn't really care what others thought. if she was happy with her body then that was all tgat mattered.

kenzie smiled a little. "what kind of clients?" she asked, cocking her eyebrow slightly. "i've worked here for a while now," she said being quite vague. she really had no honest idea how long she had been working at the coffee shop, so she threw out a ballpark figure. "probably almost a year now," kenzie added.

PM
^
randall leigh hurley
 Posted: Jun 25 2014, 06:54 PM
31 years old
Leathersmith
$25
EST
Randy
PLAYED BY Zeppelin
POSTS MADE
boarder

June 4, 2014
Evening

She didn’t seem too interested in his penchant for jogging but then again in this day and age not many people were. There was a gym up the street from here but he doubted he knew anyone who went there, and he knew a fair number of people. The allure of a gym had never really spoken to him. Memberships were expensive, why not buy one’s own equipment and work out at home where they didn’t have to share it with others? Best of all, private shower. It seemed silly to him. He made a mental note to find out how much Americans spent on gym memberships a year. He bet it was in the billions, which was absurd. Lost in thought of how people got caught up in the great health scare and did the stupidest things to combat it he nearly missed Kenzie’s question,
“Horse clients, mostly. I’m a leathersmith, I make saddles, belts, dog collars, hand bags, gun holsters, you name it. The guy this morning actually wanted saddlebags, for his Harley.” he informed and looked a little intrigued. It was not his normal calling, not everyone wanted the ornate tooling normally found on a western saddle on a badass motorcycle. But the man had been adamant. Randy just needed to find someone that would sew the bags for him, he needed to find a template as well.

“A year? That’s quite a while.” he commented, trying to show interest in the conversation, “You always lived in Kentucky?” he asked. He would have been bored if she hadn’t talked to him but at the same time he felt as though he was holding her back from getting her closing duties done. She was sitting on the counter though, maybe she had time to goof off. He sipped at his drink again and thought how most people he met here were not from here, it was just that kind of town where people moved in and moved out all the time. It must have been the high income, people had the money to move around. In poorer towns was where you found people dug in like ticks that had been there for longer than they could remember and everyone was related. He himself was from New York and though he had lived here for quite some time a smidgeon of his accent came out once in a while and gave him away, particularly at football games when he was standing in the bleachers with his brother cheering on their team.

Tagged: Kenzie! ~ Word Count: 422

PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply

• c
  • b
  • o
  • x
SKINNED BY MERC OF CAUTION 2.0 & ATF & ROUX!